Since the closure of the Recreation Complex in March, our team has been working closely with industry partners such as Vancouver Coastal Health, BC Parks & Recreation Association, Municipal Insurance Association of BC, Worksafe BC and others to develop a re-opening plan for parks, recreation, and culture programs and services. We’re excited to announce that a plan is now in place that allows us to slowly reopen, on a limited basis. Summer Camps, Outdoor Fitness Programs, and the Weight Room are open for registration.
Please see the latest press release: City of Powell River Media Release, June 29, 2020.
We know that members of our community may have concerns about the spread of the coronavirus. Municipal governments are guided by the direction of local, provincial and federal health authorities on matters related to public health. Moving forward, we will continue taking direction from the Provincial Health Officer and health authorities and any measures taken by the City will be aligned with their recommendations. The City of Powell River is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation in British Columbia and locally. The BC Centre for Disease Control is working to break the chains of transmission and it is important that every one in the City of Powell River follows the orders and the advice of the health authorities so that we can curb the spread of this virus.
Please find information below regarding the impacts to the City of Powell River’s Parks, Recreation, and Culture department. For general inquiries send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For the most up to date information about the City’s response to COVID-19, please visit www.powellriver.ca
Recreation Programs, Facility Rentals, & Refunds
- Spring & Summer Programs
Beginning mid-June, we will restart the co-ed slo-pitch league and begin to offer registered outdoor adult fitness programs throughout our City Parks. Weekly Summer Camps, for children 6 – 12, will also be offered this summer. All summer camps and outdoor fitness classes are being offered on a registered basis only. Daily drop-in’s will not be allowed. This is to ensure that sizes of classes and camps are controlled and maintained throughout. Registration for summer camps and outdoor fitness classes is now open. Registration by phone is Monday – Friday from 7:00am-6:00pm. Please see below for a current list of programs being offered.
- Recreation Facilities
The weight room is currently open Mondays – Fridays for hourly bookings. As of July 13th, 2020 the time slots to choose from are 6:45am, 8:00am, 11:00am, 12:15pm, 3:45pm or 5:00pm. Please read the following press release for registration procedures for the weight room. City of Powell River Media Release, June 29, 2020.
The Powell River Bike and Skateboard Park and municipal parks remain open. Playgrounds have reopened as of June 1st. The Powell River Recreation Complex Aquatic Centre and Ice remains closed.
- Previously Registered Recreation Programs & Memberships
All previously registered recreation programs (before March) have been cancelled up. Refunds of fees paid for cancelled programs will be issued automatically and be applied to your account. For clients with current memberships, your memberships will automatically be extended. In the meantime, check out how we can stay virtually connected and check out our page that includes a variety of games, activities, contests and more. Check back often as we will be continually updating our content.
- Facility Rentals
For more information on facility bookings please call 604 485-8901 or email email@example.com
Parks & Trails
- As of June 1, Playgrounds and Willingdon Beach Campsite will reopen. City of Powell River Media Release, May 27, 2020.
- Beginning on May 14, BC Parks will start to reopen the majority of provincial parks and protected areas and marine parks. Visit BC Parks for the most up to date information.
- On June 1, Willingdon Beach, Shelter Point, Haywire Bay, and Dinner Rock will reopen.
- On June 1, BC Parks will re-open most provincial campgrounds and back country camping. Visit BC Parks for the most up to date information.
- Parks and trails in the qathet Regional District, Tla’amin Nation and the City of Powell River remain open.
- As of March 25th, all playgrounds are closed. City of Powell River Media Release, March 25 2020
- The Powell River Bike & Skateboard Park remains open, but could change based on direction from BC’s Provincial Health Officer
Events & Facility Bookings
- For information on facility bookings please call 604 485-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- PRISMA, Kathaumixw, Arts Alive in the Park, Logger Sports, and Blackberry Festival have cancelled their 2020 events.
- City events including Canada Day, Music in the Park series, and Block Parties have been cancelled for 2020. City of Powell River Media Release, April 22 2020.