Staying Connected – Virtually!
As you are aware, the Recreation Complex is currently closed until further notice, however, that doesn’t mean we still can’t stay in touch – at least virtually! During this uncertain time we will be doing our best to keep you engaged and entertained! Below you will find a variety of activities from contests to fitness classes as well as links for arts, crafts, online concerts, and more! Check back often as we will continually update our content. Stay safe and we hope to see you soon!
Move for Health Virtual Challenge
There’s still time to join!! Our Move for Health Day is looking a little different this year! Join us for our Move for Health Virtual Challenge, beginning May 2nd, where our goal is to walk/run across Canada! Visit our Move For Health Virtual Challenge page and join the challenge!
Factory Hockey Puck Handling Challenge
Head over to our Facebook page and check it out!
Arts, Crafts, Games, & Activities to keep you (and your littles) busy!
- Out of chalk? Here’s another fun family activity – make your own sidewalk chalk paint! You just need water, corn starch and food coloring!
- Thinking about taking up a new hobby? How about learning how to paint with Bob Ross? Every episode of “The Joy of Painting” is now free to stream online. Remember when learning to paint…”We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents!”
- Bob Ross not quite your style? How about Disney! Learn to draw with Disney animator Michael Woodside! He’s hosting a daily drawing class where he’ll teach kids and adults how to draw Disney characters. Find out early in the day who he plans to draw by visiting his Twitter page, and then head over to YouTube for the live class!
- How to make Play Dough – easy no cook recipe!
- Are you missing Saturday Preschool Story time with the Powell River Public Library? Head over to their YouTube page for singalongs, puppets, action rhymes and more!
- Feeling dangerous? Make some slime! (and this one is borax free!)
- Looking for something to do indoors with the kids? How about a fun (and tasty) science experiment! All you need is water, sugar, a clothespin, a pot for boiling, and a few wooden sticks to grow rock candy crystals in your kitchen! Check out the recipe!
Health, Wellness, Fitness, & Sport
- Have you heard about our Move for Health Virtual Challenge? Check it out!
- CBC as put together a list of FREE apps, videos, online classes and subscriptions that are currently available ranging from Yoga, HIIT, Barre, and more.
- Have you heard of Peloton? They’re offering their app for free for up to 90 days. Find out more here.
- Challenger Sports is offering free live coaching sessions for kids 2 – 16 – check them out!
- In March Canadian Tire Jumpstart launched their Play from Home Resources hub. It has tips from their partners and athlete ambassadors on how to stay healthy and engaged while at home.
- Are you missing the Choose to Move program? Check out their page for a collection of resources from their team to help keep you active and connected at home.
- Check out videos below that will feature tips, tricks, and virtual classes that you can participate in at home. We’ve also starting sharing our videos on our YouTube channel!
Coffee Breaks with Kimberley Gage
Incorporating movement into the work day is extremely important. Without continuous movement, the body stiffens up and stops working optimally leaving room for brain fog, discomfort, and injury. Adding movement into the work day promotes blood flow and circulation and activates your muscles. Join Kimberley for quick 10 minute Home Office Coffee Break Exercise! No experience and no equipment necessary!
Adding movement into the work day promotes blood flow, circulation and activates your muscles! Join Kimberley for quick 10 minute Home Office Coffee Break Exercise! No experience and no equipment necessary!
Posted by Powell River Parks, Recreation and Culture on Monday, April 27, 2020
Tips from Roché Rossouw
One of our fabulous instructors, personal trainer, and certified nutrition coach Roché Rossouw is here to bring us some coaching tips! First up is how to bring new behaviour’s into our lives. For more tips and videos with Roche, check our Facebook page or our YouTube channel!
One of our fabulous instructors, personal trainer, and certified nutrition coach Roché Rossouw is here to bring us some coaching tips! First up is how to bring new behaviours into our lives.
Posted by Powell River Parks, Recreation and Culture on Tuesday, April 14, 2020