Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council
The Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council is looking for new members!
The Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council (PRRSCC) is currently seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals to join the Council!
The mandate of the PRRSCC is to empower and advocate for seniors in and around the Powell River area and to create a community where seniors flourish.
The PRRSCC is supported by the City of Powell River through the Parks, Recreation and Culture Department.
Responsibilities of Committee Members
- Strategize and prioritize activity to improve the well-being of seniors in the region
- Provide recommendations regarding seniors’ issues to the three local governments (City of Powell River, qathet Regional District, and Tla’amin Nation)
- Promote and facilitate consultation with seniors on strategic priorities
- Participate in regular SCC meetings, which are typically held monthly
- Terms of service on the SCC will be two (2) years
Criteria for Selection
Members of the SCC will be comprised of seniors living in Powell River, the qathet Regional District, and Tla’amin Nation.
Individuals wishing to serve on the Seniors Community Council must complete an application form and return it to City of Powell River by emailing email@example.com or dropping of at the Recreation Complex by 4:30 PM on January 31, 2022.
What is the Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council?
The Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council is a group comprised of seniors from across the region who aim to empower and advocate for seniors throughout the Powell River Community. The PRRSCC (Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council) is focused on advocating for systemic change that will enhance the Age-friendliness of our community.
For more information, click here to view the PRRSCC Strategic Plan
Click here to read the Final Report of the Seniors Engagement Session from November 19, 2019.
Powell River Seniors Resource Guide
Produced by the Powell River Regional Seniors Community Council, the Powell River Seniors Resource Guide are a list of local services available. They are not recommendations. Please take the time to research the services to ensure they meet your needs. Many services listed are fee for service.
If we have missed you, please contact Council at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is an Age-Friendly Community?
To enable healthy aging, the World Health Organization started advocating for the development of age-friendly communities in 2005. In age-friendly communities, seniors are included and respected, and the physical environment is adjusted to their needs. Since 2007, the Province of BC has been supporting local governments to prepare for an aging population. The Province of BC describes the benefits of an age-friendly community as follows:
- Seniors are supported to age actively, enjoy good health, and remain independent and involved in their
- People of all ages and abilities benefit from safer, barrier-free buildings and streets, better access to local businesses and facilities, and more green
- Businesses benefit from the increased support and spending power of older customers, and are better able to support older
- The community benefits from the increased participation of older adults in community
The World Health Organization identifies eight main areas of focus for age-friendly community building. All areas were discussed during the workshops.
- Outdoor Space and Buildings
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Social Participation
- Respect and Social inclusion
- Civic Participation and Employment
- Communication and Information
- Community Support and Health Services
For more information, click here to view the Powell River Age-Friendly Community Plan
Current Council Members
- Tricia Andrews
- Sara Blum
- Lorraine Hansen
- Pam Kenny
- Ron Koros
- Carmen Kuczma
- Margaret Leitner
- Tracy Lynch
Please email us if you have any questions or may be interested in joining us.