Powell River Seniors Community Council
What is the Powell River Seniors Community Council?
The Powell River Seniors Community Council is a group comprised of seniors from across the region who aim to empower and advocate for seniors throughout the Powell River Community. The PRSCC (Powell River Seniors Community Council) is focused on advocating for systemic change that will enhance the Age-friendliness of our community.
For more information, click here to view the PRSCC Strategic Plan
What is an Age-Friendly Community?
To enable healthy aging, the World Health Organization started advocating for the development of age-friendly communities in 2005. In age-friendly communities, seniors are included and respected, and the physical environment is adjusted to their needs. Since 2007, the Province of BC has been supporting local governments to prepare for an aging population. The Province of BC describes the benefits of an age-friendly community as follows:
- Seniors are supported to age actively, enjoy good health, and remain independent and involved in their
- People of all ages and abilities benefit from safer, barrier-free buildings and streets, better access to local businesses and facilities, and more green
- Businesses benefit from the increased support and spending power of older customers, and are better able to support older
- The community benefits from the increased participation of older adults in community
The World Health Organization identifies eight main areas of focus for age-friendly community building. All areas were discussed during the workshops.
- Outdoor Space and Buildings
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Social Participation
- Respect and Social inclusion
- Civic Participation and Employment
- Communication and Information
- Community Support and Health Services
For more information, click here to view the Powell River Age-Friendly Community Plan
Current Council Members
- Pam Kenny, Chair
- Linda Belanger, Co-Chair
- Jolaine Wright
- Maureen Tierney
- Sara Blum
- Margaret Leitner
- Carmen Kuczma
- Rosemary Entwisle
- Ron Koros
Please email us if you have any questions or may be interested in joining us.